Sunday, September 11, 2005

They Say "The First Time Ain't The Greatest"

Perhaps "Prince" had it correct in his Purple Rain album [well, "CD" now- but I'm referring back to a day and time of technological and social change]- and so it may be with this first publishing of the RussView- my own little dive into the exhibitionistic world of blogging...

"The first time ain't the greatest"... How many things can we look back on and make that comment? Sex, politics, fuel injection, turbo-charged V8s... The first time at bat for many things aren't neccessarily the best of what we'd hoped for... Give this blog a year and perhaps I'll be viewing this post with a shiver of catrission suited to a person who's discovered how trite a start he'd given his "gift" of this first time...

Could I make some social comment on the moores of our society, the jingoistic politics of a person who's outwardly conservative, but inwardly liberal; or perhaps wax eloquantly on the prose of some work of literature or matter of state that all but too obvious to solve, yet the beauracrasy of the day levels the point staunch and mute?

No... No- instead I choose to stroke my own sense of ego and pontificate like some long since forgotten "kernel" of the South who rocks in his ladderback rocker and tells all the "upstarts-n-younguns" how things were different when you wrote things down in a bokk and called them "memoires"...

I take this elequant moment to bloviate about "The Blog" and how my first few sentences will make or break my literary sojourn on the internet.

Sad? Perhaps, if we follow the backstory of a man just turned 40 with a 4 year old sone and another on the way in April with his mortgage, car, dog and all the BS that makes life in the good old "US of A"... But I don't think so.

Perhaps it's a view into the mind of a man who's taken the warrior's path of both strength by arms and strength by understanding. I've taken to technology more like that of a sooth, that may not understand how it works- but has chosen "it" [be ubiquitous, "it does a body good"...] as my path of knowledge for what it does and what I can do with it.

Perhaps, like the virginal overtones I speak of in the title, it's my first, and I want it to be special- original- exciting- and all those other adjectives one uses to describe what an aspirant would dream and hope for in their first...

But- as I look back; even now; at the words posted and the ideas formulating from my head, streaming through my fingers, and onto the CRT in front of my eyes- already I want to edit, specify and even delete- "The First" is no more than any other first.

Already, the high is receeding and my son who's potty trained but accident prone has managed to flush his underwear down the toilet...

Perhaps the first time is great- if not "the greatest"- simply because it's the shot of reality that brings it crashing down...

I continue to be- RusS

No comments: